Wednesday, January 22, 2020

Teenager

NOTE: Quite the late publishing, but I felt compelled to share. JR

Kendra Marie,

I've often told you when you need a sign, an answer, God will send you the unlikeliest of messengers to deliver that one word of wisdom that will trigger an epiphany.

When I needed it the most, He sent me you.

I was once just another steel worker, counting the overtime hours and calculating the extra money each and every week. Life had a steady rhythm that I was somehow content with, despite this nagging sense that something wasn't right. I needed a voice to put that into perspective and that voice came from you.

You were four. Like most little ones, you were up bright and early on the weekends. I rolled in one Saturday morning after a midnight shift. You were leaning against the ottoman, watching the Disney channel. Your hair in your face, your thumb in your mouth.
I knelt beside you and hugged you to me and asked you what you were doing just to hear your voice.

Your tiny voice said "Hi Daddy, you came to visit?"

You changed my life from that point on. That nagging sense that something wasn't right became a clear picture of what I was doing wrong. Those little words sparked a slow burning fire that gave me enough courage to look for something more.

Years later, in Connecticut, miles and years away from our life in Pennsylvania, you came from school, a sad look on your pretty face. When we talked, you tried so hard to spare my feelings but I coaxed the answer out of you.

"We have to write about what our parents do for work. Can I just say my dad is a writer?"

That was the day you threw much needed fuel onto those dying embers of wanting to be something more and I made it my mission. I still remember like it was yesterday when I told you "You can say your dad is a fluids logistics designer, or a submarine systems draftsman, or simply a draftsman."
You smiled the entire time you were writing about what your dad does for work and you must know that to see how proud you were, meant more to me than I could possible ever describe.

Kendra, you have been the strongest wind in my sails. You've been one terrific motivator and you don't even know just how much you've inspired me to be more. I knew from the moment I held you, thirteen years ago, I'd do anything for you, I'd be anything for you.

You changed my life without even knowing it, and you'll always be my hero for that. So now that you are entering this next phase, know that you never once walk alone. I am with you at every step and I will give you any answer you seek and if somehow my years of experience fail me to answer you, I'll find that answer with you.

I can proudly say that one of my very best friends is now a teenager. Welcome to your teens, my Kendra Marie. It's a blessing to be part of your life, to walk along with you, to see you grow into such a lovely young lady. You've made it a joy to be a father and I am blessed to have you in my life as my daughter, as my hero, my best friend and my motivation. I love you, kiddo.

Happy 13th Birthday babygirl.

Dad









No comments:

Post a Comment